It’s been a busy week – left for California last Wednesday, and here’s a quick update on what’s gone down since then:
- Direct flight from Newark to SFO, arrived around 9 p.m. Dad picked me up at the airport, and we chatted on the way home about life and family.
- Stopped in at In-N-Out for a Double-Double with fries and a chocolate shake. Hey, I only get to splurg once a year!
- Once to my Dad’s house, watched “The Day After” (an 80’s nuclear doomsday flick on ABC), and crashed upstairs in the spare bedroom.
- Rose early, did the local crossword puzzle, and had Dad drive me to the DMV to apply for a replacement license.
- Had Starbucks with Dad, and a chat about politics.
- From there went to the Hertz and nailed down a Mazda 6, fully insured (you’d understand if you knew my driving record).
- Visited Best Buy to get Christmas presents: XBox 360 for Jake and family.
- Then it was off to Willits, and a quiet, sleepy night at home.
- Had an early rise, chats with Mom, and then more shopping. But not before dropping by Safeway and catching up with Denise, Sonya, Dale, Sarah, Dina, Theresa, and even Mona!
- More shopping: record time at Wal-Mart (boo!) and Staples. Hey, there aren’t many options, dammit.
- And then Christmas came early. So much fun, so many gifts, so much … wrapping paper! Did I mention how adorable my niece and nephews are?
- Lunch with Denise and Sonya, in the Safeway break room no less.
- Dropped by Jim’s house, visited with him, Trevor, Gracie, and Sarah. She looked especially good.
- Lunch with Gracie, et al., at the Loose Caboose.
- NPR radio puzzles with Will Shortz. O.K., I admit, it’s just a book of reprints, but I love word play.
- Finally, a quiet night at my parents’, watching “The Devil Wears Prada” with Mom
- And I was off to the East Bay! But first needed to lose $350 at an Indian casino. Bad news, those places. (Odds? What odds?) But my grandma, Mom, and Melissa enjoyed it, I think. (I admit: it was fun, if hurtful to the pocketbook. Note to self: avoid those $5 slots.)
- Watched “Four Brothers” with Joe and hit the sack.
Monday – Christmas Day
- Nothing like spending Christmas in a cramped bulkhead aboard a decrepit American Airlines Boeing, with a $5 snack box and a snooty stewardass. (“Flight attendant” my ass.)
- It was good to be home. Very late. But home.
- Back to work (which felt good – my brain needed a boost), and a surprise: Erin’s in town, and needs a place to crash. My sister is visiting! Sweet.
- Later it’s a quick gym workout, dinner at Zucchero e Pomodori, coffee at DTUT, and some friendly back-and-forth on the Middle East.
- A mellow day at work. Introduced Erin to the team, and then headed to DTUT after close of business to hang with Jeff and solve the Wednesday Times puzzle.
- Katrina calls! She’s coming into town tomorrow!
- A stop at some random UES bar and “How to Play Pool 101” with Professor Bell. So that’s how you nail those bank shots.
- A couple West Wing episodes, and sleep.
- Standard work day — a quiet week indeed — and then a much-needed run on the treadmill.
- Dinner with Katrina (in my sweats no less) at Canyon Road.
- A drink at Trash, introducing Katrina to the gang — Jeff was there too — and then a quit stopby at Mo’s for a second drink with my two Polish neighbors, Anna and Alexandrea.
- Ta-ta, Katrina, and falling into bed, exhausted, around 2 a.m.
- Fuck you and your 12 balls!
- This week has been incredibly slow. That holiday (read: relaxing) vibe is in the air.
- Bully’s for lunch and a read through the Times and a stack of magazines. Surprise: The Economist raised its prises. Six bucks now.
- Kerriann is around, and might be hanging out with her tonight. But right now, time to publish this post and close the book on the pre-2007 day-to-day.